Laptop (XP) to a Xbox 360

G4V1N 21:04 PM 04 Sep 10

I have a xbox360 and i was wandering if anyone could help me get it connected to my laptop so i could take all the music off it. i am networking with a cross over cable. and it just won't connect.

your help is appriciated

G

mgmcc 08:32 AM 05 Sep 10

Have you configured the IP addresses in the TCP/IP Properties of the two network adapters?

If not, in XP open the Network Connections folder ("Control Panel > Network Connections"), right click the Local Area Connection and select Properties. Highlight the entry for "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click the Properties button.

Click "Use the following IP address" and type in:

IP address 192.168.3.1

Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Leave the Default Gateway and DNS Server addresses blank because this isn't an Internet connection. I selected that IP address to avoid conflict with your router's address which could have 0, 1 or 2 as the third 'octet' (number) of its address. I'm not familiar with the interface of an Xbox, but give it the address 192.168.3.2 with the *same* Subnet Mask of 255.255.255.0

If you're using third-party firewall software in the PC, it may need to be configured to allow access to the 192.168.3.1 and 192.168.3.2 IP addresses.

If the Local Area Connection is normally used to connect to your router for internet access, you will need to go back into the TCP/IP Properties and set *BOTH* IP and DNS sections back to getting their addresses automatically.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? Windows 10 is now available, so do you have to upgrade? 8 reasons…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries discuss Designing the Future

How to run Windows 10 on Mac: How to run Windows 10 using Boot Camp or VirtualBox to install…