Laptop XP Home SP3 no boot

johndrew 21:54 19 Feb 11
Answered

I had a panic 'phone call from my son who is doing an Open University degree and needs his laptop as all work is on it. His backup drive is en-route to the UK care of Mod in a packing case along with all support CDs.

Problem appears to be as follows. He did the monthly MS update and logged off/shut down normally yesterday with no apparent problems. When he started the laptop today it offered 'last known good' but wouldn't boot to that nor is it possible to get into 'Safe Mode'.

I suggested removal/refit of the battery and retry but this also failed.

Given the lack of CDs/backup drive can anyone suggest other avenues that may get him up and running?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Strawballs 21:58 19 Feb 11

make and model of said laptop?

johndrew 22:05 19 Feb 11

Thanks for a quick response.

Sorry should have said, Toshiba Satellite Pro A60-106. Not young but was functional.

rdave13 22:05 19 Feb 11

Sometimes it's suggested here to remove the battery and the ac power supply. Press and hold in the power on/off switch for about 30 seconds or more. Try booting up with ac power only at first. If ok then replace battery.

johndrew 22:07 19 Feb 11

"Press and hold in the power on/off switch for about 30 seconds or more."

Is that with power/battery on/installed or off/out?

rdave13 22:17 19 Feb 11

Remove all power sources then press and hold the on/off button/switch for 30 seconds or more so the capacitors (I presume) lose their charge.
Then connect the AC adaptor to see if the laptop boots. Ii's been known to work here.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:18 19 Feb 11

disconnect power lead -remove battery - hold power button.

looks more like a corrupt windows file needs a XP CD and a repair install can he borrow a CD?

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

Strawballs 23:49 19 Feb 11

I'm with 124 with this one I recently helped a friend retrieve his data off a Toshiba with the same symptoms by using a live CD of Ubuntu

johndrew 10:46 20 Feb 11
Answer

Many thanks to you all for responding.

Given that he currently has no CDs at all - whether he can borrow one I have no idea - it looks as if he may be stuck until he can get access. Besides Linux I had considered the Ultimate Boot CD for XP but of course no web access.

The mechanical suggestions (battery/power button) all failed unfortunately so it does look very much as if the OS is corrupt. If he could get hold of his backup drive he could recover Windows from that and be back in business, but as I said, it's in a box somewhere with the CDs.

Looks as if the lesson is to buy a large capacity memory stick and keep a backup on that!!

Thanks again all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced