laptop on work network to home pc

haggis98 18:55 31 Jan 03

My laptop is setup to workon the network server at work with its own ip address and subnet mask.
how do i set it up to talk to my home pc without having to change the ip address.
if i set it up to give automatic ip address it will work but i then have problems connection to the network server at work. if i note the ip address from work and re-enter them all is ok but is therre an easier way.

Good evening haggis98, I guess it depends on what you want to do at home. If you simply wish to transfer files etc, then you could set the address, subnet workgroup etc. on your home machine's NIC to work with your laptop.

Assuming you do not need to log onto a domain, use the same settings as on the laptop, but increase the ip addy by one.

Hope this info helps. Regards, Mr. Mouse.

haggis98 19:09 31 Jan 03

Unfortunately i have to log into a domain on laptop

Hmmm, I've just had a possible idea. I hope that someone who knows about this will read it, but when you install certain software from isp's, they often come with an .ins file, which sets your internet settings (including tcp/ip) for there account.

Now I am wondering if it is possible to write your own .ins files to change your NIC's settings? If this is possible, you would simply have two files, one for work and one for home, which you could run to change your settings.

If nobody replies to this over the weekend, I will have a play at work on monday to see if this is possible (I don't want to mess up my home machine at the moment, just in case!)

Regards, Mr. M.

Sir Radfordin™ 19:19 31 Jan 03

Why not use fixed IP addresses at home? You can give your other PC's different addresses to the work one and then you shouldn't have a problem.

If you make the home workgroup the same as the work domain it could work.

Y2K_Phil 20:38 31 Jan 03

The problem with your laptop being set to registar on a domain is that if you start changing IP settings it will destroy your connections to your work domain this could also anoy your network administrators especially if the laptop is not yours and it belongs to the company you could be breaking there polices by doing what you are trying to do so bewhare. There is a much easier way around this you can purcase a peace of software called PC anywhere and as i remember it was on a pcadvisor some time ago so look through those old cds that your cup of coffee is resting on and see if you still have it.

Anyway you jsut install the software on both PC and laptop and use a serial or parrale cable to transfer your files.

If you do decide to go down the network route try changing your PC IP and subnet mask to the same as the laptop this should give you access remember that the IP address on the PC must be one higher or lower than your laptops to prevent conficts but the subnet mask must be the same. This could work but it depends on the network domain settings so I would doubt it.

The best solution is definalty the pcanywhare but there is other such software like laplink which is the one which I use.

Hope this answers your problem if not just post back

Bye for know Y2K Phil

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…