Laptop won't switch off!!

wotbus@ 17:40 11 Jun 04

Compaq Armada E500 XP Pro. Seems locked up and unable to switch off. Does not respond to pressing\holding mains switch or removing mains lead - still running on battery! Tried Esc and\or Ctl\Alt\Del Help please.

wotbus@ 18:05 11 Jun 04

There were no programs running and it locked up during normal closedown. Any help appreciated.

tenplus1 18:13 11 Jun 04

If your laptop fails to close down, check the Power Options in the Control Panel and make sure everything is set there and APS power is enabled in the bios...

Other than that you could probably press the POWER button for 5 seconds until it beeps and turns off automatically...

wotbus@ 18:22 11 Jun 04

I have tried pressing/holding the power button but nothing happens. Cursor moves about but nothing more. I just have the Blue Screen of Death...

wotbus@ 18:23 11 Jun 04

Oh, and if I hold it to my ear I can hear the HD spinning!!

wotbus@ 18:26 11 Jun 04

Sorry for the bits and pieces...The HD indicator is not lit (usually denotes HD activity) but something sounds like it's spinning. I suppose that could be another drive...

spanneress 18:27 11 Jun 04

Hold the power down button and count to ten slowly not 5..my compaq's all take a ten count.

HTH

wotbus@ 18:33 11 Jun 04

OK spanneress, just held it for count of slow 30 and still nothing !

wotbus@ 18:38 11 Jun 04

I do have a msg on the screen but its in Dutch!! I am awaiting a translation reply email from the owner. In case any Dutch people are out there it says "Windows wordt afgesloten..."
Real Friday one this one :-)

VoG II 18:42 11 Jun 04

Windows are concluded (babel fish translation)

Sir Radfordin 18:43 11 Jun 04

If it just seems to be locked this once then just unplug from the mains, remove the battery and leave for a couple of minutes. Put the battery back in and reboot and it should be ok.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…