laptop wont startup

Daiol 14:21 20 Oct 06

good day to you all,my son just brought his laptop to me,and when i turn it on thats all that appears on screen is 'A disc read error occured Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart' when i do that it keeps popping up with a black screen same message.
its a packard bell MIT-GHA20 laptop bought from pc world in 2004 we have no disc what soever for it.i have a main pc that if possible would help to download something onto a floppy.can anyone please assist us.Thanks in advance.

LimestoneRock 17:01 20 Oct 06

You haven't got a floppy loaded have you which is preventing boot up?

If not, try starting in safe mode.

woodchip 17:12 20 Oct 06

This sounds like the MBR is corrupt Master Boot Record

Technotiger 17:18 20 Oct 06

Hi, on your main pc you could download a program called Fdisk, save it on floppy and you should be able to sort out the laptop. I believe Fdisk does come with Instructions.

click here

Cheers

woodchip 17:21 20 Oct 06

I think you may find Fdisk only works with Fat32.

I may be wrong, But if you have a Full XP disc if that is the operating system, and from the prompt after starting computer with the CD in the drive, at the Prompt Type FIX /MBR

Technotiger 17:25 20 Oct 06

You are right - I was not thinking about OS.

Daiol 18:19 20 Oct 06

thanks for all the replies,the fault was on the hard drive thanks once again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…