Laptop won't startup

xoc 16:37 10 May 06

I was playing bridge using my laptop IBM 570 with xp+sp2, when suddenly

everything went blank and a blue screen with a message re Fat 32 appeared

momentarily, then laptop shut down!

I have tried to restart it but, 'tho all the lights flash, it won't power up!

Any tips gratefully accepted!

Taff™ 14:17 11 May 06

FAT 32 is a file system on your HDD. Modern computers using XP use NTFS. What operating system are you using?

It could be that your Hard disk drive has failed so we need to determine that first.

xoc 18:31 11 May 06

Thanks for response, but I'm back in business, having powered up from power source with no battery installed, and have since had no problem starting up with battery installed,

Taff™ 22:08 11 May 06

System does not operate though the battery is fully charged:

"The surge protector in the battery might be active. Turn off the computer for one minute to reset the surge protector; then turn on the computer again."

However, I suggest you run a test on the HDD and certainly back up everything in case it is a "false dawn" - good luck! Don`t mark this thread as resolved yet - leave it a couple of days just in case.

xoc 10:35 12 May 06

Thanks again.
Re testing HDD, have run scandisk and everything seems to be ok.
Have you another test you can recommend?
Also would like to send you a screen shot of the disk management window, as am not happy with what shows there, but have failed to copy it to this BB.
Is there an email address I can send it to as an attachment?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…