Laptop won't start up, please please help

Viv-208691 15:52 15 Oct 08

Hi there,

I've got a 4 yr old Sony Vaio XP laptop which has served me very well. However, there is now a problem which I have no idea how to address! Basically, when I turn it on the 'VAIO' splash logo appears on the screen but then the screen goes grey/black and does not post/nor can I enter the bios.

Has anyone got any ideas as to where I should start with this one? Any help would be gratefully received. Thank you

birdface 15:59 15 Oct 08

Have you tried to start in safe mode.Keep tapping F8 as the computer starts and see if you can get in that way.

Viv-208691 16:15 15 Oct 08

Hi, thanks for the response.

I hit F8 and I get the windows advanced options menu and I can select from the following:

Safe mode
safe mode with networking
safe mode with comand prompt

enable boot logging
enter vga mode
last known good config
directory services restore mode
deubugging mode
disable auto restart on system failure

start windows normally
reboot
return to OS choices menu

I tried safe mode like you said but the screen went blank again. Should I try one of the otehrs?

Thanks again

woodchip 16:16 15 Oct 08

I think you have muck built up over 4 years round the Heatsink vanes and the CPU is shutting down. to stop overheating. You could try a vac on the vents suck and or blow

Viv-208691 18:16 15 Oct 08

I just hoovered her and although it now runs much more quietly (thanks for that) it still won't boot in safe mode, ie still black screen.

Any other ideas what I should choose from the list etc?

Thanks for the help guys

FT

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:19 15 Oct 08

TRy last known good config

if that doesn't work then you need a XP CD to do a repair

birdface 18:40 15 Oct 08

Hi.Just wondering.Was it keeping good time before you had the problem.

Viv-208691 18:46 15 Oct 08

I tried last known good config and still get that black screen. I've got the sony cd which I got with the laptop which has got XP on it, ie it is the laptop's reinstallation disc. When I put that it, do I hit F8?

Viv-208691 19:07 15 Oct 08

I tried putting it in without doing F8 and it went straight to that grey/black screen again...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:32 15 Oct 08

If you run that disk it will wipe all your data and return the machine to factory settings. Can you afford to do that?

Borrow a XP CD and perform a repair
Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

Viv-208691 00:16 16 Oct 08

Ok thanks I'll try that and let you know how it goes. Will report back tomorrow!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…