Laptop won't start

the golfer 16:24 21 Aug 07

I have an old IBM Thinkpad T21. Yesterday, when I press the start button, it only flashes and doesn't start up. This happens on battery and mains power. Any help appreciated

woodchip 16:27 21 Aug 07

Try it without the battery in

the golfer 17:18 21 Aug 07

Hello woodchip, I have tried that, still won't work.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:22 21 Aug 07

remove HDD and see if it will boot to an error screen.

the golfer 17:53 21 Aug 07

Hi Fruit Bat, What do you mean when you say remove HDD? I am not really computer wise. Many thanks.

birdface 18:23 21 Aug 07

Hi,This from another thread,It might work for you.You want the bottom article .click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:27 21 Aug 07

Turn over, on base is small screww to lock HDD in place, remove and slide out the hard drive.

try to boot up.

Idea is to unload the power supply system a little.

the golfer 18:50 21 Aug 07

Fruit Bat/buteman, Tried both items still will not start.

T0SH 19:25 21 Aug 07

First get the T21 hardware manual from here
click here

Press and keep holding down the F1 key next press the power on button if this gets you into bios setup then the laptop hardware is booting ok then it is most likely to be hard disk problems

Do you have the restore disks ?

Cheers HC

the golfer 21:52 21 Aug 07

TOSH---Tried as you said but still won't start. I don't have the restore discs.

just a thought ...
can you rule out the battery maybe flat and the power/charger supply has packed up?
This may explain the brief flash,then nothing,you may not get the flash at all now if its totally drained.
possibly borrow a universal charger that has adjustable voltage settings to match the original voltage so you can rule this possibility out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…