laptop won't start

zebbydog 18:43 09 Jun 06

when you switch on power light shows and other lights flash and you cah hear a hard drive noise but that is it nothing on screen at all.

Any ideas please

wee eddie 19:14 09 Jun 06

Power by the Mains if possible > Switch on > Press the F8 Key (You could try F5 if F8 doesn't work for you)as often as you can till you get a "Bleep" > If you are lucky it should open in "Safe Mode" which is windows basic Settings.

Check what your Screen Settings are.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:07 09 Jun 06

Try with an external monitor plugged in (may need keys pressed to switch over to external monitor)

It may be the display settings are wrong for your screen or your screen inverter / backlight has failed.

woodchip 23:12 09 Jun 06

Remove the battery and connect to mains and try starting

zebbydog 08:21 10 Jun 06

for your replies i will try later today as it is my daughters laptop.
Will let you no how it goes .

zebbydog 17:51 13 Jun 06

tried all the above and still nothing works, its a Sony vaio FX 805 any one no what to do to try external screen please, and any other things to try Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:12 13 Jun 06

HAve you got a monitor to try?

plug into port at rear of laptop

look for a key with symbol of screen I[]I if in blue then you need to press Fn key plus screen key together to swap to external monitor.

zebbydog 23:16 13 Jun 06

took out HD and put it back in again and it booted ok. will see how long it lasts.

Thank you all for the help much appreciated

terryf 23:26 13 Jun 06

If you can find out the manufacturer of the hard drive, go to that site and download hard drive tool that will do a non-destructive (of your data, etc) test of the hard drive and show if there are any error. If you do a full test, it will take some fairly long time

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now