laptop wont start

craigy1 22:00 03 Mar 05

hi, i have a dell latitude which has a worn out battery. I have been powering it up with the power adapter that plugs in the back.

My problem is that now it wont power up at all now, I have checked the supply to the pc but it is reading the correct voltage. My other problem is that its a company laptop and it has got games on it and stuff that they dont wont on it. How do i either get the info off it b4 i send it back or can i wipe the harddrive?

Jackcoms 22:05 03 Mar 05

Suggest you hand the laptop back to your boss together with your resignation letter.

craigy1 22:08 03 Mar 05

theres nothing bad on it.!!!! its just got software like route finder, calorie progrmas, and information that i got another job, like emails. i need some help please, not funny emails

Jackcoms 22:15 03 Mar 05

If you knew the battery was "worn out" why didn't you ask the company to replace it?

If the stuff they dont wont on it (sic) is not bad why not just bite the bullet and tell the company that the battery is dead and the laptop won't power up?

JonnyTub 22:17 03 Mar 05

tell em you were mugged :-) on the other hand you could buy a caddy for you the laptop hard drive which will plug into your pc

Bren.ie 09:18 04 Mar 05

`Have you tried removing the battery completely from the Laptop and trying to start only using the mains adaptor?

craigy1 15:42 04 Mar 05

the only bad thing on is, is emails from another employer that i might want to join. The battery is of no concern as i have been using the power supply to power it up.

also i have told my company about the battery and I am still waiting for one!!!!

is it possible to read the info off the harddrive with a cable attatched to my other pc?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:49 04 Mar 05

You can get an adapter cable to connect the laptop hard drive to the desktop machine. Approx £4.50

As Bren.ie suggests completely remove the laptop battery a power from mains cable.
When battery totally dead will drag down mains supply voltage.

TomJerry 17:24 04 Mar 05

(1) remove HDD from laptop

(2) put it into an external enclosure costs £10 click here, now you have an external harddrive

(3) connect to any working PC with usb porter

(4) backup your own stuff and maybe remove stuff you do not need

(5) put HDD back

craigy1 16:22 05 Mar 05

well i to see about caddy and they seem ok, but i asked my local shop to see if they had one and got round to telling them about my prob.
they said that i cudnt use a caddy or a 2.5 adapter cable cos i got the laptop password protected.

but they also said if i gave them the harddrive they wud be able to get the info off it for me.

How can a harddrive in a laptop be password protected and they wud be able to get through it but i cant on me own.
i always thought the password was on the cmos, this is the password that comes up in windows with the blue screen. its a win 2000 os.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:27 05 Mar 05

yes laptop password could be in BIOS

Password to logon would be in windows.

If you connect with adaptor as slave to another systm you would not need the on drive windows password.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…