Laptop won't recognise memory stick

All of a sudden my laptop has stopped recognising my memory stick when I put in the usb. The sticks not faulty cos it works in my other comp and the usbs aren't faulty cos other things work in them. Any ideas? (XP Pro).

Jeffers22 09:52 20 Feb 05

Can only offer what I needed to do to get my Dell Inspiron to recognise USB memory stick. And I warn you this is bizarre and I can offer no explanation other than it worked!

Plug a USB extension cable into laptop. Plug USB memory stick into end of extension cable.

Hey Presto! It worked for me.

I don't have one! And thats not really the solution is it as I shouldn't have to do that. Thanks anyway jeffers22.

VoG II 10:00 20 Feb 05

Do you mean that it doesn't bleep when you plug it in? click here

Not only that but a window should open up called 'E' and show whatever there is on the stick. I already have the autofix program and that doesn't fix it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…