laptop wont power up

jammin 11:27 23 Aug 10

any ideas whats wrong with my laptop, when switched on the background was black (usually wallpaper) the battery ran out and the computer went dead, I have plugged the adaptor in but no sign of life, a light flashes when i try to power up but otherwise nothing, i have taken the battery out and tried but still nothing, any suggestions - its less than 2 years old and is a hp pavilion

woodchip 11:30 23 Aug 10

The charger may have expired, If you have a Volt Meter check if power is coming out of it Round about 18volts it should tell you underneath it. After its gone it would just run off the battery until it was flat

northumbria61 11:34 23 Aug 10

Try this, press down the power button and hold it down, and then with the button press down , press F12 , and the computer should boot normally.

jammin 11:37 23 Aug 10

havent got a volt meter, tried power button and f12 but still dead

northumbria61 12:04 23 Aug 10

A small pilot light on the AC adapter: This light indicates the presence of power; if the lamp isn't lit, you may have a dead charger on your hands.

jammin 15:27 23 Aug 10

thanks for your help - no light on the adaptor but I tried a friends charger which worked fine - bought a new charger which now works

northumbria61 15:29 23 Aug 10

Good news. Don't forget to tick box and click as resolved.

robin_x 17:00 23 Aug 10

Don't forget that a laptop will run fine for years without a battery. If you are just in your house on the mains adapter.

Of course if you move from room to room or to a coffee shop, that is a different matter.

When roving a laptop battery, store it in a cool place. eg a wardroe or cupboard.

robin_x 17:02 23 Aug 10

roving? = removing

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…