Laptop won't download MS updates

Jackcoms 09:17 25 Apr 07

I’ve just done a HDD format and re-install of Windows XP on my daughter’s laptop (Dell Inspiron 510m).

Almost as soon as I connected to the internet something like 80+ Windows updates were downloaded and installed. So far, so good.

However, I know that there are probably more than a dozen updates (both critical and non-critical) due for Office 2003.

When I go to the MS Update site to download them manually, the green progress bar (Checking for the latest updated for your computer) runs and runs and runs but never actually finishes. I waited almost 15 minutes without any joy.

Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) is enabled in Services and I registered the Office installation online after the re-install.

Any thoughts as to why the laptop can’t or won’t find Office updates?

birdface 09:36 25 Apr 07

Microsoft up-date will usually download any office up-dates as well,Are you sure they have not already been installed.

Jackcoms 09:42 25 Apr 07

No, definitely not installed.

I actually looked at every one of the 80+ referred to in my first post!!

They were all Windows.

In any case, I will need to maually download updates for the non-criicals.

birdface 09:47 25 Apr 07

I take it you switched computer off and on again after up-dates were installed,15 minutes is a long time,But as the computer has been reformatted it will take longer than normal,But not usually that long,If still having problems you could try Add-Remove,Click on Microsoft office,Change,And when it runs it will give you three options,One is repair,Try that see if that helps.I would only do that if nothing else works,You will need your office disc handy just in case it asks for it.

birdface 09:49 25 Apr 07

You can always go to Office up-date and try it from there.

birdface 10:01 25 Apr 07

Sorry Jackcoms.You probably have tried all that,Thought it was just a newbie looking for advice.

Jackcoms 10:27 25 Apr 07

Yep, done all that!!

Haven't tried the Office update site yet.

In any event, whilst at the Windows Update site (Windows updates only), I was prompted to download the Active X to take me to the Microsoft Update site (Windows AND Office updates) - which I did.

And it was there that the long search started and went on and on without success!

Any other ideas?

moorie- 10:39 25 Apr 07

click here
see if anything helps

Jackcoms 11:22 25 Apr 07

Thanks.

However, it's not installation which is the problem - it's downloading.

There is nothing downloading for me to install!

I definitely haven't got any of the updates listed in your link on the laptop - which does prove that I need Office updates but the laptop can't or won't find them.

birdface 12:19 25 Apr 07

Had something the same problem a fortnight ago,Could not get office Up-Dates,Tried repair,It would not let me do that.It would not let me delete it, Vog told me to run Microsoft clean up.Managed to delete it that way,Re-installed Office and get all the up-dates again.Anyway I hope you get it sorted,best of Luck.

Jackcoms 12:25 25 Apr 07

Thanks.

"run Microsoft clean up"

What's Microsoft clean up? How do I run it? Do you mean sfc /scannow or something else?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…