Laptop that won't connect to the wireless network

kfq61 11:15 11 Jun 07

I have a sony vaio laptop approx 3 years old. I am using an actiontec router recommended by NTL.
I had 2 pc's and my sony laptop connected to my router with no probelms until i realised that my network wasn't secure and anyone had access to it. I contacted actiontec and after a long conversation we secured the router using WEP with a 10 figure key given to me by them. Once secured I added the pc's and although we had a few problems initially connecting, eventually they connected, but the sony laptop will not, even the tech support gave up with me and told me to contact sony!
My network appears in the list of available networks but it won't connect, it trys and then says 'windows is unable to connect to this network' The network may no longer be in range etc'.
I have also added my network in the preferred networks and it goes through the motions of connection then it just stops and the connection box disappears and says unable to connect to preferred network.
I have gone through all the suggestions in an earlier post with the same problem JP Islesworth,

I've done a repair, made sure the ' obtain ip address automatically" and the" dns server" boxes are ticked in internet protocol properties, turned off firewalls, it's on channel 11, done the click start/run type in services.msc scroll down to dns client, yes it's automatic. reset the router etc.
Just think it's strange that other house pc's connect and this one just won't!

Would greatly appreciate any help anyone could give me...it's driving me nuts!

Many thanks

scotty 16:48 11 Jun 07

Try using the wireless networking setup wizard (available in control panel). If you run the wizard on the working pc it should give you the option to use a USB stick to transfer the settings to other computers you want to add to the network. This will transfer all settings including the WEK key.

kfq61 17:23 11 Jun 07

Many thanks and have just tried the above with no joy, it said it was unsuccessful and led me to article 871122 on microsoft.com. I followed all those instructions and still no joy. Just to add too that I have service pk 2 installed.

Ashrich 19:22 11 Jun 07

What wireless adapter are you using on the Sony ? Are you using it's own software with it or are you letting Windows configure it ?

Ashley

kfq61 21:39 11 Jun 07

I'm using an actiontec 54Mbps pc card. An hr ago I took the security of my router and the laptop connected no problem but as soon as I put the security back on it stopped connecting. I've installed the software that came with the device, as windows didn't find a driver.

Thanks.

postie24 18:12 12 Jun 07

Are you hiding the SSID? Sometimes when you dont broadcast this,you can lose the connection.
Go to the router homepage and check to see if your showing it.
If that sorts it,change the name so your ISP cant be recognised by anyone.

Ashrich 22:40 12 Jun 07

Have you tried letting Windows manage the connection ? It generally makes a better job than supplied software . Go to ...start/settings/control panel/network connections. Right click on your wireless connection and select " properties , and under the " Advanced tab " tick the box " Allow Windwos to manage my connection "

Ashley

kfq61 23:16 12 Jun 07

Thanks for your replies,

The SSID isn't hidden and the 'Allow windows to manage connection is ticked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…