Laptop Won't Connect To Wireless Modem/Router

Mad Mick 08:05 31 May 05

I recently bought a Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop and I am trying to connect this to a BT Voyager 2100 wireless ADSL modem. The modem came as part of a kit which included a BT Voyager 1060 Laptop Adapter and a cable which was also supplied (I think this is called an Ethernet cable, but I may be wrong).

I can connect to the internet by connecting the laptop to the modem using the cable, and the connection by that method, does not give me any problems. I bought the kit to allow me to surf the net from various locations within my home but this is where my problems started. I kept getting it set up with the help of the BT helpline staff, at great cost, but the connection keeps dropping and has to be continually re configured. I must be doing something wrong or I have a hardware/software conflict when trying to use the laptop wirelessly.

The laptop has the following hardware 1. A 1394 net adapter. 2. A Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller. 3. Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200 BG Network Connection. All these were pre loaded/fitted by Dell. I think that these may be fighting against the BT 1060 laptop adapter and may be the cause of my trouble.

I need help to configure the laptop to allow me to connect wirelessly to the BT Voyager 2100 ADSL modem with or without the use of the BT Voyager laptop adapter. I am completely new to wireless connections and am totally disenchanted having believed all the hype about wireless connections. Surely I am missing something important during the setup stages and any help in resolving this would be appreciated.

selfbuild 16:52 31 May 05

Remove the BT 1060 wireless card and all the software including the drivers for the 1060 wireless card..... your right when say that they are causing conflicts with Dells built in wireless card....

Next, disable the onboard LAN and make sure that the wireless connection is enabled and that the Windows firewall is also disabled.

After that enter the routers web config page and make sure that the wireless part is enabled and you know what the encryption key is (if one has been set).

Now goto Start > Run type cmd and hit enter. Now type ipconfig /release (hit Enter), then ipconfig /renew (hit Enter).

selfbuild 16:54 31 May 05

Do you get a signal ?

Mad Mick 23:18 31 May 05

selfbuild thank you for your reply. I have just arrived back from hospital out patients, I had a recent knee replacement and developed complications today. I will give this my undevided attention tomorrow morning. I assure you that I will inform you of how I get on. If I disable windows firewall surely that will leave me open to attack from viruses etc. Until tomorrow.

Mad Mick 08:23 01 Jun 05

selfbuild
Did as you said but ~I cannot access the internet. I am a real amateur as far as wireless is concerned and apologise for taking up your valuable time. When I go into network connections the Wireless Network Connection icon shows Not Connected.

selfbuild 08:36 01 Jun 05

In network connections, right click the Wireless network connection icon and click on View Available Wireless Networks. This will open a new box. Are there any wireless connections listed ?

If so, click on the Connect radio button at the bottom and see what happens.

If not, click on Refresh Network List to see if it will pick up the any wireless connections.

Mad Mick 08:47 01 Jun 05

When I open the box I get a message that says Windows cannot configure this wireless connection. If you hsve enabled another programme to to manage this wireless connection use that software.

selfbuild 09:27 01 Jun 05

Ok... Goto into the Control Panel and double click the Dell Wireless WLAN utility.

What boxes are ticked in the Wireless Network tab and more importantly, are there any Available Networks listed ?

TomJerry 09:55 01 Jun 05

click here

install this program and report back what info it find

this program was recommended in a computer mag

Mad Mick 10:19 01 Jun 05

Selfbuild - There isn't a Dell Wireless WLAN utility icon in Control Panel.

Mad Mick 10:25 01 Jun 05

TomJerry. The programme does not run or report anything.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…