Laptop won't connect to router

danfrost2202 12:51 06 Apr 07

Hi, the problem I have been having is that I am trying to connect to my wireless router (speedtouch 580). When i search for wireless connections in range it often finds it and it has a strong signal but when I connect to it it wont connect. It doesn't say anything it simply tries to connect to the network then stops, it doesn't get as far as acquiring network address, I've tried restarting both my laptop and the router but its the same. If anyone can help me it would be great. Thanks

Dan

danfrost2202 12:57 06 Apr 07

Just to say it had previously in the past connected to it, I had gone away to University and as far as I am aware nothing has changed with the setup but I'm back now and it doesn't work

karim07 12:58 06 Apr 07

If you have enabled any wireless security on your router then first enter that security key (like WEP key) and the try to connect

danfrost2202 13:01 06 Apr 07

it asked me to enter the network key which I have done and it still does nothing

postie24 14:29 06 Apr 07

Have you tried repairing the connection,might be a dns cache issue

irishrapter 17:53 06 Apr 07

Log on to the your via an ethernet cable.
Disable any encryption.
Disconnect ethernet cable and try to connect via wireless.
If you connect okay disconnect the wireless then re-connect with cable and enable encryption with a new password. (Try using WPA if you can, WEP is broken)
Disconnect cable and try wireless again.

If all else fails I would suggest you reset the router to factory default settings and try the above again.

irishrapter 17:54 06 Apr 07

Typo! First line should be "Log on to your router"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…