Laptop wont connect (new thread)

alltime 11:05 05 Jun 05

Hi guys, Sorry about the thread confusion. My set up now is 1 main pc and 1 laptop running win xp with sp2 on both. I have a Belkin high speed modem/router with the belkin pc card for the laptop. Can i have advise please on the correct settings in tools, internet options, connections, to connect this laptop correctly. Also how do i go about setting up file and printer sharing.

Taff36 13:09 05 Jun 05

Let us have the model numbers for the Belkin Router and PC Card. Tell us which computers can see the router and if they can see each other (i.e. share files) also can you connect to the internet through either machine when the other is switched off?

Trackrat 13:10 05 Jun 05

This should help you.
click here

Taff36 13:18 05 Jun 05

Start>Control Panel>Network Connection Wizard. Click next. View the checklist and then press next. If the wizard says it found disconnected network hardware tick the box to ignore disconnected hardware and click next. Select the radio button that says “this computer connects through a residential gateway. Click next and fill in the computer description (e,g, Desktop) Leave the Computer Name as it is currently. Click next and type the name of your network exactly as you`ve set up previously. (MSHOME is the default on XP) Turn on File and print sharing. Next and check the settings then next again. Wait while the wizard configures settings. Select the create a disk option and put a floppy in the drive.

Follow the instructions and put the disk in the desktop. Run the file and complete the wizard in the same manner but filling in the correct info for the desktop. I think you have to reboot both machines at the end of the wizard. If you have XP on both machines you don`t have to transfer the floppy, simply repeat the procedure on the other XP computer but you will have to remember some of the settings accurately!

To see other computers on the network go to network neighbourhood on each machine. Test it by transferring a file from one machine to the other. Note that the files must be in the “Shared Folders” on each machine. You can add another folder (e.g. My Music) by using Windows Explorer and dragging (My Music) to the shared folders.

The above should get both computers seeing each other. Back Later!

Taff36 13:19 05 Jun 05

Excellent Link but I`m pretty sure this is a wireless network now. (Two previous posts over the last few days) Your link is still being constructed for wireless networking.

alltime 13:59 05 Jun 05

Yes its a wireless set up Belkin ADSL Modem with High-Speed mode Wireless-G Router 125Mbps (Model F5D7633-4) with Belkin High-Speed Mode Wireless G Notebook Network card. Both computers can Communicate and the main pc is set up on the net. The laptop is set up in a fashion will connect sometimes but not allways.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…