laptop won't connect to internet

Ms. Confused 13:06 10 May 07

Be gentle with me... I'm quite useless at this! I have a Dell Latitude CPx and a BT 2901(?)wireless router and I use a Linksys wireless card.

On the laptop, it says I am connected to the internet and the signal strength is excellent but when I click on internet explorer, it says it can't display page as I am working offline...

Can someone help me please :-(

54david27 13:16 10 May 07

Hello Ms. check when internet explorer is open, under the file menu that the option "Work off line" is not ticked, this has happened to me several times.

Ms. Confused 13:24 10 May 07

I have done that but it still doesn't work. If I try to repair the connection it says it can't repair due to not being able to renew IP address...???

FreeCell 14:45 10 May 07

It could be that the wireless security is switched on on the router. If so, you need to set the laptop to the same security setting and enter the appropriate key.

View the available networks. Linksys may have a utility installed on your computer for this as many network cards do. You may also be able to use the Windows version (right click on the wireless network icon in the system tray) though this is may have been replaced by the linksys one. Does the detail for the network include any encryption? This indicates the security setting that the router is using.

postie24 16:03 10 May 07

Make sure the " obtain IP address automatically" box is ticked in internet protocol properties.

Ms. Confused 16:54 10 May 07

'Obtain IP address automatically' is on. As for your answer Freecell, I am a bit confused!! I will look when I get home in 10 mins.

postie24 18:22 10 May 07

Have a look and see if the dns client is running and set to auto in services.
Try turning the encryption off in the router homepage for a min and see if it connects

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…