Laptop won't connect to BT WiFi automatically- Please help.

buel 20:34 PM 25 Jan 13

Hi, I have a laptop with a wireless dongle. When it is started, it comes up with a message saying that it is connected to BT WiFi (which is what I usually connect with). 99% of the time when i open Firefox it connects first to the WiFi and automatically enters my details and I can surf from then on. However, all yesterday and today, the process is exactly the same apart from when i open Firefox it tries to connect to Google instead of the WiFi spot.

Please can i ask why this is and also what i can do to change this back? I have tried going to my history and double clicking on (three days ago) the the route it used to connect by (WiFi).

buel 22:15 PM 25 Jan 13

Hello, anyone?

lotvic 02:14 AM 26 Jan 13

Not very clear what you mean?

When you say "when i open Firefox it tries to connect to Google instead of the WiFi spot"

"it" are you saying the dongle disconnects from BT internet WiFi

and.. Nah, I still don't get what you mean, sorry.

buel 08:00 AM 26 Jan 13

No problem. I should have been clearer. The dongle connects to the WiFi hotspot but when I open Firefox it usually gets 'hijacked' to go to the BT Fon WiFi log in page first and then on to Google after I have input my log in details.

Yesterday it was constantly just trying to connect to Google.....and obviously failing.

Weirdly, this morning I restarted the laptop and upon opening Firefox it went straight to the BT WiFi page. Obviously I am happy but I'd still like to know why I had the problems yesterday?

onthelimit1 09:42 AM 26 Jan 13

Is this router at your home? If so, why are you connecting to the hotspot part of the router, and not the usual?

buel 12:54 PM 26 Jan 13

Does it matter?

lotvic 13:05 PM 26 Jan 13

I don't get why you need to use a dongle with a laptop.

buel 13:14 PM 26 Jan 13

The laptop is old and does not have wireless itself. Now, can we get back to the initial problem please, if that's ok?

onthelimit1 15:12 PM 26 Jan 13

Does it matter? As far as I'm aware, there is no log-in screen if you use the 'normal' output from a Homehub.

onthelimit1 15:13 PM 26 Jan 13

should have added 'once you've put in the WiFi key and ticked auto the first time'.

Secret-Squirrel 16:16 PM 26 Jan 13

Buel, I think the problem lies with the hotspot you're trying to connect to rather than a fault on your laptop. One possible cause is that the hotspot's DHCP server is a bit slow to issue you with an IP address. Or perhaps the hotspot's DNS server is not quick enough.

If it happens again, close all browsers, wait for a few seconds and try again. The chances are that you'll then get the BT Fon/WiFi landing page so you can login and start browsing normally.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Vaio Z Canvas release date, price and specs: Another Surface Pro rival but for the US

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Steve Albini's notorious email is now a punchy music video

Live Photo tips: How to take Live Photos on the iPhone 6s, how to view, share, edit and find Live…