Laptop wont connect

alltime 19:11 31 May 05

I am running win Xp home on the main pc and on the laptop. I have a US robotics ADSL USB Modem. (not router)I have just purchased a Fast cat e Ethernet RJ45 Male/male cable. Spent over 1 hr with bt tring to get the laptop connected to the internet with this cable connected to pc and laptop. And all i Get is error code 680 no dial tone. Im sure the you experts can crack it.

madPentium 19:15 31 May 05

so does the modem have lights on it? one for usb and one for adsl?
is the light steady green?

no dial tone usually means the adsl line is offline. Did you put the filter inbetween the telephone socket and the modem?

alltime 19:27 31 May 05

All lights on the modem and filters in place. If i connect the pc to the internet its fine. If i attach the laptop DIRECT to the Modem its fine. But surely with the pc turned on (but disconnected from the internet) the laptop through the RJ45 cable should connect (or NO) I dont Know !!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:38 31 May 05

You need internet connection sharing enabled on the desk top and allow shared computers to access.

Network connections > right click your LAN connection >properties >advanced tab > tick both boxs Internet connection sharng and Allow other users...

alltime 18:34 01 Jun 05

I think it is the cable problem, Should be crossover Thanks to you all

Dipso 22:03 01 Jun 05

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…