Laptop won't boot if USB stick is connected

johnincrete 13:22 16 Aug 13
Answered

If I have a USB stick connected to my laptop, the boot stops very early showing just the Dell logo and what looks like a progress bar, half filled. I'm using Windows 7. I'm wondering whether it is to do with a setting that tells Windows to boot from CD but I've no idea where such a setting might be.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:55 16 Aug 13

The setting will be in the BIOS

Depending of make and model the typical keys to enter SETUP (BIOS) are Esc F2 Del

Once in BIOS look for Boot order and either put USb last or even disable it for now.

Ian in Northampton 14:30 16 Aug 13

johnincrete: this problem has caught me out on several occasions - but I didn't know it was the presence of the USB stick that was stopping my PC from booting. Fruit Bat /\0/\'s suggestion is the one to follow - but I have to ask: wouldn't it just be easier to remove the USB stick before trying to boot the laptop? Does it really need to be in there at boot time?

johnincrete 06:46 22 Aug 13
Answer

I've tried various key combinations to no avail. Startup is too quick to see what it suggests. Dell website no help.

I'll take the USB stick out before startup.

Thanks anyway

woodchip 10:51 22 Aug 13

As above in BIOS look for Boot order then set first to CD second Hard Drive1 third Hard Drive2 etc untick boot from other devices

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…