Laptop wont boot up HELP HELP

Bike-it 18:47 12 Aug 10

I use a Dell laptop with vista, but yesterday whenever i switched it on, it got as far as the welcome screen and after a while it froze, and a black screen appeared, every now and again a box appearers in the middle of the screen telling me that things are not working like explorer, system tray dell dock, i started the laptop in safe mode and ran a few scans like SAS, Adaware, malawarebytes, MSE but nothing has been found please help as i cannot be without the laptop as i use it for work and play.

birdface 18:53 12 Aug 10

Did you try last good configuration or system restore while in safe mode.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:13 12 Aug 10

1/ Start your PC

2/ If your PC has one operating system Press and Hold the F8 key as your PC starts. If the Windows Logo appear you will need to start again

3/ If you have a dual boot system a Boot option menu will appear. Highlight the Vista operating system and Press the F8 key

4/ In both cases, if all has gone well, an Advanced options screen will now appear

5/ Highlight the repair Your Computer option and Press Enter

6/ Select a keyboard layout, and then Click the Next button

7/ Next select your user Name and Enter your Password, then Click OK

8/ The recovery options should now appear

* Startup repair - This automatically fixes problems that are preventing Windows from starting
* System Restore - This will Restore Windows to an earlier point in time
* Windows Complete PC Restore - This will completely restore your entire PC - programs, system settings and files - from a back up that you have previously created (Available in Windows Vista Business, Enterprise and Ultimate editions only)
* Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool - This checks your computer's memory hardware for errors
* Command Prompt - This opens a Command Window

Bike-it 20:03 12 Aug 10

I ran the startup repair, it ran for a very short while and reported no errors,should i try system restore?

Bike-it 20:14 12 Aug 10

ran system restore in safe mode it but it will only let me restore the laptop back to this morning at 7am and it does not offer you any more dates or times.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:20 12 Aug 10

Boot back to safemode and run system file checker

click here

Bike-it 20:23 12 Aug 10

Tried last known good configuration but it only goes as far as the welcome screen and all the boxes appear in the middle of the screen telling me that things like task scheduler is not or has stopped working, help

Bike-it 20:37 12 Aug 10

Running system file checker now, will let you know the results

Bike-it 20:43 12 Aug 10

The scan only ran to 43% and a message appeared "windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation"
Help

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:01 12 Aug 10

I thimk you are going to have to make sure you have all your documents photos etc. off the machine and do a Full Restore.

You can download a linux live CD click here with which you can read the drive and move your info before doing the factory reset.

Bike-it 23:05 12 Aug 10

if i do a full restore will i have to update windows and all other programmes afterwards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017