Laptop Won't Boot, Blinking Lights

energy324 19:34 17 Jul 14

Hi, I have a laptop that won't boot. The caps lock blinks. I already looked it up on HP, and the blinking pattern means there is a cpu problem. I heard of a baking method that works. Instead of baking however, I just let my computer run til it got really hot. This made it work. However, it stopped working as soon as I turned it off. Is the only way to fix it to replace the cpu? How come it works when I make the computer really hot? Is it a glitch or an actual hardware issue?

Also, I replaced the thermal paste and cleaned out the vents about a month ago. It was working fine after I did this for about a month. However, could the cleaning have caused the problem I have now? I want to make sure because I would want to do this process again on my future laptops (the heat difference was tremendous), but I don't want to break them... So do you guys think I did something wrong in changing the thermal paste/cleaning vents that has caused the cpu problem I have now? This is more what I care about since I think I am just going to by a new computer. Thanks!

rdave13 21:22 17 Jul 14

I'd check if the fan is working. If you haven't over pasted the thermal CPU paste then that would be my guess. Also HP have their own programs to cool the CPU so if you've uninstalled them that could also be a problem. Check their site for your particular model number for their management service.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:25 17 Jul 14

Cleaning out is good

re-pasting the cpu is also good provided it is done correctly - all the old paste needs to be carefully removed and only a very thin layer of new paste applied. one incorrectly it could lead to overheat problems

Baking is for reflowing the solder on the motherboard (all components like memory and cpu must be removed.) and is nothing to do with a faulty cpu. Reflowing is an absolute last ditch attempt to get a motherboard working and only works in very few cases.

energy324 23:18 17 Jul 14

Hi, the fan is still functioning fine. Also, when I first did this I actually put too little thermal paste and ended up having to put more. Also, I feel like it's unrelated since the computer was working for nearly a month after doing the process. Also, my computer shuts itself off when it overheats. The computer never shut down by itself. It stopped working when I tried to turn it on today.

Also, then I really don't understand how the computer worked after I let it heat up for about a hour.

rdave13 23:28 17 Jul 14

As it concerns heat and it works for while, then a motherboard problem after your last fix. Re-check all connections but it looks like a motherboard dysfunction to me.

onthelimit1 08:44 18 Jul 14

Had several of these. Definitely the solder joints on the mobo. I tried the reflowing trick. It worked on one for a few weeks, on another which is still working 2 yrs on. On the others, it didn't work at all. If you've tried all the other options, you've nothing to lose by giving it a go.

Ian in Northampton 11:18 18 Jul 14

In theory, a hairline crack in one of the tracks on the motherboard will join up when the metal gets hot. Just a thought.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…