Laptop wont boot up

indianajohn 20:01 29 Jul 07

hope you can help me with this problem.HP Pavillion laptop DV2000 series.120gb hard drive,2gb RAM.problem started on friday would boot into SAFE MODE and dad resolved the problem buy going into error checking.after this was done it was workin fine with no problems.i loaded norton anti-virus this morning and it found a trojan and said that problem was resolved.i turned the computer off and when i turned it back on later it would not boot up.the screen that comes up shows options saying, SAFE MODE, SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING, SAFE MODE WITH COMMMAND PROMPT, LAST KNOWN GOOD CONFIGURATION AND START WINDOWS NORMALLY.i have tried them all but none of them work and it goes back to the screen with all the options.if there is any ideas of helping me because i do not want to load the recovery disk and loose all my files.Thank You son of indianajohn

birdface 20:08 29 Jul 07

Try it in Safe Mode by rebooting computer and keep tapping the F8 key as it starts,If it works run your Anti-Virus and spyware programs again,Or try Last good configuration,Or system restore.I am afraid the last thing to do to a computer that is having problems would be to Install Norton.

indianajohn 20:15 29 Jul 07

thanks buteman for quick response.i have tried all the options but no response from any of them.so i still cant boot up.it is as if the system is in a loop.the f8 key makes no difference beacause its not booting from safe mode.thanks

birdface 20:30 29 Jul 07

Sorry but it looks like you may have to do a system repair, But you need the Proper XP disc for that,Its all a bit beyond me,But I am sure someone else will be able to give you some proper advice.

indianajohn 20:34 29 Jul 07

thanks buteman for your help i hope someone else will be able to help me as i really do not want to re-install windows with a recovery disk

VoG II 20:53 29 Jul 07

Does your recovery disk have an option for 'non-destructive recovery'?

indianajohn 20:57 29 Jul 07

thanks for the reply VoG.i have no idea if this is available as an option because i am afraid to put the disk in an loose my files.

VoG II 21:08 29 Jul 07

A recovery disk, in my experience, will always have a message like 'All data will be deleted - are you sure you wish to proceed' with the option to cancel. I would try it and see if it gives you a non-destructive option.

If it doesn't then you need to transfer the hard drive to another PC (or maybe use a caddy), transfer all the data off onto another HDD. Then do a recovery, then copy the files back.

I wish you success but you really should have kept a backup of your stuff.

indianajohn 21:15 29 Jul 07

thanks VoG.im only 16 and im doing this from dads pc and neither of us are experienced enough to do as u suggest.the daft thing is i bought a spare hard drive 320gb yesterday from maplins for £60 and i was turning the laptop on tonight to back up everything but laptop broke down before i had the chance

VoG II 21:18 29 Jul 07

I'm assuming that you are running XP. Can you borrow an XP disk from anybody - it has to be the same version - Home or Professional.

indianajohn 21:22 29 Jul 07

thanks again.me and my dad both only have recovery disks.i will check around my friends tomorrow to see if they have an XP Home disk.is the XP disk the same as a recovery disk?son of indianajohn

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…