Laptop won't boot.

wobbler 15:12 07 Oct 06

My sons laptop , on power up, will not boot fronm the hard disk. So he put the win xp disk in the cd rom and re booted. The machine went through the start up process for windows but eventually and pressing the install windows on the selected partition (original c drive ) it came back with an error message that the partition was not recognisable. It only gave the option to re partition the hdd. Obviously this would result in a complete loss of data - NOt what we want!! Is there a way to repair the partition. The laptop has no floppy drive.

wobbler 17:08 07 Oct 06

just about ready to give up.

EARLR 17:20 07 Oct 06

What are you running ? Have you tried to do a Repair windows.

wobbler 17:39 07 Oct 06

Windows XP pro. I am given the facility to repair windows using recovery console , then the next screen gives me the option to install windows on an unknown partition. At this point if I carry on , al data will be lost and this is not what i want.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:59 07 Oct 06

Boot to recovery consul and at the propmt type fixmbr
then exit and reboot
try fixboot if PC will not boot after fixmbr.

If still no good then:
remove drive and connect to another PC as slave or by external USB to ide cable.

See if you can access the drive and recover data Testdisc click here
Drive Rescue click here

wobbler 18:05 07 Oct 06

removed the drive from the laptop but its not a standard ide connector, any idea what its called so i can get an adaptor?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:29 07 Oct 06

click here USB to IDE and laptop drive, scroll down to 44pin laptop drive connector is this what you have?

Bought one of these for £7 fron a compter fair.

adaptor cable to fit internal click here

woodchip 23:16 07 Oct 06

You could get a 2.5ins caddy from computer fair, I paid £4.95 for one. and plug it into usb on another computer to get data off it. then do a clean install with the drive

EARLR 15:42 08 Oct 06

When you fix it get an external HD and Acronis TI.
Good Luck

terryf 15:44 08 Oct 06

I agree with EARLR, you can't beat it for peace of mind

wobbler 10:53 12 Oct 06

Ok, put the laptop hdd in my PC via a USB connector and managed to recover all the data using a program called "recover my files"/. It cost $60 but it worked whereas the other suggested didn't. After getting the files saved to main PC I was able to reformat the laptop HDD, but it took all night!! Thanks for all the help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…