laptop wont boot

bananaz 11:37 25 Aug 06

Hi, i have been asked to try & sort out a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop (2-3 years old). The keyboard was unresponsive & had huge problems trying to enter the password, but eventually logged on just the once to start cleaning the thing. I rebooted the system & have not managed to get past the problems with the keyboard since then. I removed the keyboard & blew the dust out of it, i also removed the HD & RAM, to blow all the dust out of it. I have put eveything back together now & tried to start the laptop up, but now it does nothing at all. It tries to start for about 10 seconds & switches it's self off. The screen remains blank at all times. I have plugged the laptop directly into the mains & the battery does seem to be charging fine, but does exactly the same, 10 seconds, blank screen & switches off. This laptop is running XP home. Any help at all would be great & thanks very much in advance.

Forum Editor 11:49 25 Aug 06

"It tries to start for about 10 seconds" what exactly does it do - how do you know it's trying to start if you can't see anything on the screen - does the hard drive activity light flicker at all?

bananaz 12:18 25 Aug 06

The screen stays completely blank at all times & the HD light flashes just the once. 9 seconds later, the laptop turns off. I'm wondering if the HD has had it? As i say, this HD was very badly infected, infact i have never seen one as bad as that. Would such a mass infection cause eveything else to go AWOL? i.e the keyboard etc? I am indeed quite stumped by this one.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:31 25 Aug 06

TRy on mains with battery removed.

My old laptop fires up runs fans for 10 seconds and then goes very quiet (with black screen) for a couple of minutes before the windows logo appears.

bananaz 22:52 26 Aug 06

I have now replaced the RAM & the laptop now works fine & i have now managed to format & re-install all the protection that its needs, however... I am using another keyboard (usb) as the laptop keyboard is still unresponsive (apart from a couple of keys). I have seen the error 'keyboard stuck/keys stuck' a couple of times & when the laptop first boots up, i hear a number of beeps, like when you keep pressing a button, other than a comand key (f8 for example). I have removed the laptop keyboard & just used the usb keyboard to see if it happened again, which it did. How could the 'stuck keyboard' message be seen again, if there wasnt any keyboard? I just wanted to check if you think that maybe there is a motherboard problem? before i go & pay out for a new keyboard tomorrow.
Thanks in advance.

woodchip 23:07 26 Aug 06

Did you clear the Drive and reinstall XP, Before or After you removed the Keyboard?

bananaz 23:24 26 Aug 06

I removed & cleaned the keyboard, before i formatted the HD, as it was behaving exactly the same as it is now. I have removed & replaced the keyboard since the re-installation of XP, to double check that it was connected correctly.
Hopw this helps?
cheers.

woodchip 23:31 26 Aug 06

Well if you loaded XP with the Laptop Keyboard it would Retain this info, and may still give the fault error

bananaz 23:44 26 Aug 06

Ok, so could the keyboard actually not need replacing? do i need to remove an old file that contains the error message? im not quite sure how to proceed.
Cheers.

bananaz 23:46 26 Aug 06

Sorry, i forgot to say: I left the laptop keyboard within the unit, but used the usb keyboard as i was installing XP, as the laptop was mostly unresponsive.

woodchip 23:49 26 Aug 06

That's why you are getting the Error

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant