Laptop woes

realist 15:06 11 May 08

Grandson's laptop starts up normally but then after desktop it is only possible to open folders and some random programs, eg CC Cleaner will open but some scans don't finish.

System Restore won't open. Control Panel and My Computer likewise.

Above also applies on running in Safe Mode.

I tried loading the XP recovery CD but that stops running after a while.

Any advice gratefully received. Hopefully not: "he needs a new pc"!

Cheers.

crosstrainer 15:30 11 May 08

Make and model of laptop? Also, can you run antivirus and anti spyware in safe mode?

realist 15:38 11 May 08

Evesham Voyager 5750 XP Home 512MB AMD Athlon 64 3400+
Scans now running in Safe Mode, thanks.

realist 18:02 11 May 08

Scans completed but problem remains.

How do I run the XP repair? I can't figure out how to change the boot priority in the bios in favour of the cd drive?

Cheers

birdface 18:21 11 May 08

If the scans run in safe mode can you not try system restore again while you are in there.If you press Ctrl Alt and Delete it should open Taskmanager.Is iexplore.exe showing.

realist 18:25 11 May 08

Now figured getting it to boot from XP cd, so will try a repair (hopefully)!
System Restore inoperable from Safe Mode.

birdface 19:09 11 May 08

I dont suppose run type sfc /scannow would work.you might be asked to install the XP Cd.As you can't get into control panel you can't open another user account to see if that would work.Anyhow best of luck with whatever you do.

birdface 10:44 12 May 08

Hi scroll down to Marg7s way to get to system restore.click here see if that works.Or did your repair work.

realist 13:16 12 May 08

Thnaks for that buteman.

XP now re-installed, and mostly fine except that has "wavy windows" when scrolling. Smooth scrolling is enabled, so maybe it's the video drivers need installing/updating?

Also the keyboard @ key does not work!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:50 12 May 08

Also the keyboard @ key does not work!

control panel - regional settings and languages - change everything to English UK

birdface 15:56 12 May 08

If you get to a bit that also has English US on it remove that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…