Laptop wireless problem

bovthedog 17:43 08 Nov 09

Have just bought a laptop but although it will detect neighbourhood routers it won't detect my Netgear. I have a desktop wired to the router and the laptop works fine when wired.
I have set the Netgear with SSID key and WPA-PSK and key and the wireless light is on. Router instructions say SSID key should be set on all other wireless devices but I can't find where to set it on the laptop. Have set the laptop firewall off and on with no difference.
Have gone through the Network Connection Wizard but no joy. Advice appreciated.

Jollyjohn 18:46 08 Nov 09

Right click on the wireless connection icon and select "View available networks"
If your netgear is not listed I would double check the router settings - ensuring there is a tick in the box to broadcast ssid.
When you select your netgear a box will pop up asking for the wireless key, and confirmation, then your laptop will connect and connect automatically in future.

bovthedog 10:45 09 Nov 09

Thanks Jolly. Now I can connect to my router but can't access the internet.

Jollyjohn 10:56 09 Nov 09

Assuming the desktop can still access the internet it is a setting on the laptop.

Control Panel - internet options - connections - ensute it is set to "obtain ip automatically" and "obtain dns automatically"
Also check firewall setting on laptop. If using ZoneAlarm I find I need to put the wireless adapter in the TRUSTED zone not INTERNET for it all to work.

bovthedog 11:32 09 Nov 09

Correction to my last post. I can detect my router but can't connect to it.
Jolly, followed your instructions but when I get to Connections I get a window with,
Setup a new connection. (I've set BB)
Dial-up an virtual settings.
I have my ISP and BB (default)
LAN settings.
Auto config with no Proxy Sever.
I don't see 'obtain ip auto' or ' obtain dns auto'.
I have seen this somewhere else and will keep looking.
Thanks again

bovthedog 13:19 09 Nov 09

I cracked the problem more by chance than anything else. I found the set-up a nightmare as it does not follow instructions. Anyway stumbled on a page asking for the WPA key, thought I'd done this before and bingo now I can connect to the router and the internet.
Thanks for the help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…