Laptop Wireless Connectivity

nuttymum05 13:33 29 Nov 07

I have an IBM thinkpad T40 with wireless connection. I've been using the connection we have on the pc's at home (which are linked to a router) but a few days ago the laptop ceased to connect.

We tried restarting everything, installing the router onto the laptop, re-entering network keys, and calling Virgin Media (who were pretty much useless) etc.

We finally got it to connect but it comes up 'Little or no connectivity' so it's not usable. When we click on the 'Repair' button it says that the IP address is invalid.

Does anybody have any ideas for getting it connected again? Or why it might have stopped working?

Help would be appreciated. (Leave out the technical terms because we don't have a clue what we're doing)

nuttymum05 13:37 29 Nov 07

Forgot to mention other details:
- It's an XP operating system
- The router is Actiontec
- The other pc's are still connected, it's just the laptop
- Security is McAfee (but this hasn't been altered so shouldn't affect it)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:23 29 Nov 07

Start - Run - Type

services.msc

in the box and press OK.

Sroll down the list of srvices and check that :

DNS client
DHCP client and
Wireless Zero configuration

have all started. If not right click each one select properties, in the startup type box make sure its set to automatic and click on start button.

Start - Settings - Network connections - select your Wireless network connection.

Wireless networks tab - select your network - properties - check or networkname SSID and password are correct.

nuttymum05 07:23 30 Nov 07

Thanks very much for the help. Did as you said Fruit Bat, everything was already as it should be, but laptop problem still the same.Any other suggestions would be most welcome.

Technotiger 08:51 30 Nov 07

Have you tried System Restore, on the Thinkpad, back to when it was working OK? My partner had a similar problem with her laptop, and System Restore sorted it immediately.

nuttymum05 22:07 30 Nov 07

Thank you Technotiger this has worked so far my daughter is now very happy.

Technotiger 22:12 30 Nov 07

Grreat, thanks for the feedback.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…