Laptop Wireless

Les 18:24 24 Sep 07

My neighbour has to travel to India shortly and wishes to take his laptop with him.

Could someone tell me what he will need to do to the computer to allow him to do this. He's not sure whether it is wireless enabled or not - what should he look for to check this.

His OS is XP Professional.

postie24 18:59 24 Sep 07

Whats the make/model?

Les 19:08 24 Sep 07

Thanks for prompt answer. The make is Toshiba - about 6 years old - model not known by me I'm afraid (and he's not at home!)

insyder 19:55 24 Sep 07

Quick way of seeing if Wireless installed - Go to Device Manager (RC My Computer-LC Manage-LC Device Manager)- Look under Network Adapters, and see what's installed there.. If nothing there wireless wise Get a USB Wireless adapter - Edimax do a good one with an ariel on and a fly lead so you don't break it or your USB Port.

Les 22:45 24 Sep 07

Thanks for your reply, I'll tell him when I next see him

Les 19:26 26 Sep 07

The neighbour has been told that if he fits an adapter (his laptop doesn't have one)in this country that it may not work in India. He has checked with the hotel that he will be staying at - they do have a 'hotspot' there - it should work - shouldn't it? He's talking of waiting until he gets there before buying his adapter - it may well be cheaper but would it then work when he got home and bought a router?

postie24 19:42 26 Sep 07

The adapter will work in India,and will also work when he gets home.

Les 20:07 26 Sep 07

I thought so. It was a PC World salesman who told him this, I did question him on that 'cos I thought his statement sounded ridiculous - hence the enquiry.

The neighbour is probably correct in assuming that, if he can get one in India it will be cheaper - but, personally I wouldn't chance it.

Thanks for your reply and I will pass this on to him.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017