laptop will not start

Veitcy 15:13 12 Feb 10

I tried to format the hard drive in my Dell 510 and re install windows xp. I reset the bios to dvd drive put in the disk but it still started as normal then opened the dvd so I continued on but it was not letting me format so I pressed escape. Now all I get is message saying press f1 to to retry I can alter the bios order (Have tried all orders) but get no further and it does not read the DVD
Any ideas? Thanks

ame 15:23 12 Feb 10

click here might help. Look at Step 4 - press f12 to boot from cd during startup. Leave disk in the dvd drive then shut down and restart, pressing f12 on and off continuously.

woodchip 16:27 12 Feb 10

if you tap F8 as its starting it may give the option to start from DVD, check the list that pops up

baldydave 17:09 12 Feb 10

The XP CD needs to be a hologram/shiny cd.
If you are using a restore disk this probaly wont boot.
Most dell pcs come with an image on the hard drive
Looks like its CTRL+F11 at the Dell Logo to start recovery.

ame 19:04 12 Feb 10

Is this not about an old Dell 510 laptop that would have come with a full XP cd? You need to confirm model/age and supplier/status of cd.

Veitcy 20:16 15 Feb 10

I have now resolved problem thanks for replies. For some reason all drives had been disabled when I descovered this was able to put it right.
However the disc for xp I have does not give option to reformat.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…