Laptop will not power usb portable hard drive

quintain 15:05 02 Jan 06

My 60gb usb2, back compatible with usb1, portable external hard drive will not work on my toshiba tecra 8100 laptop.(works good on the desktop setup) On connection to the single usb1 port on the toshiba I get an error message 'Power Surge on usb hub'
The assistance message continues with 'a usb device has exceeded the power limit of its hub port', the information tab tells me 'a usb device has malfunctioned and exceeded the power limit of its hub port'.
The device manager in the xp pro with sp2 shows the toshiba usb hub port having 500mA total power.
Can anyone advice how I can get this external drive to work on the toshiba, I need it to take documents/data with me when I am away from home.
Regards, quintain

Graham ® 15:57 02 Jan 06

Try plugging it in before booting the laptop.

Taff™ 17:57 02 Jan 06

Buy a powered USB Hub OR a powered Backup (portable) External Hard drive. You can`t expect USB ports from a laptop to power everything!

woodchip 18:13 02 Jan 06

You need to buy a PCMCIA USB card you can but a Mains adapter to power these or you may be able to but one with the card click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…