laptop will not power up even

rum98 01:24 22 Jul 07

im using a compaq presario 1508ap laptop (win XP pro/1 GB RAM). it will no longer power up when plugged in a AC source. power indicator light does not light anymore. prior to this happening it tends to shutdown by itself when it gets hot. when using it i would often point a fan underneath it to help it cool down.

any comment/suggestion as to what the problem is?

ArrGee 01:40 22 Jul 07

Could be your battery. Check the battery connections and give them a clean. In some laptops you need a battery in place even if it is dud and requires a mains adaptor.

Also, as you point out, it's getting hot. So the cooler fan may not be operating to full capacity (if at all). Could be due to dust.

Have you always used the laptop on a flat surface with plenty of ventilation (i.e; as a desktop replacement)?

rum98 02:26 22 Jul 07

thanks ArrGee. i use this laptop as desktop replacement and its always placed in flat table with the room amply ventilated.

battery i believe is near the end of its life because everytime it gets full charged, it will only last just 5 minutes, thus i resort to using the Ac adaptor.

Could the adaptor have problems as well?

johndrew 13:06 22 Jul 07

If the battery is drawing a high load it could cause the adapter to fail or cut out if it`s protected. I had to warn my son of this, his battery was on the way out and running very hot as was his adapter.

I would suggest new battery first and if the charger isn`t working (you can see that easily enough) replace that as well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos