Laptop will not boot says a file is corrupt.

castiel333 22:00 28 Apr 08

Hi

I have just tried to turn on my sons laptop and I just got a black screen with the message windows could not start because the following file is missing or currupt \winnt\system32\config\system

I pressed something (not sure what) and on another screen it said windows root> \system32\ntoskrnl.exe.

It says that I should insert a startup disc to repair the file but i do not have a startup disc.

VoG II 22:16 28 Apr 08

You need to borrow an XP disk and follow this procedure click here

castiel333 22:39 28 Apr 08

Thank you very much for your reply and your link.
Very much appreciated.

castiel333 22:29 29 Apr 08

I have been unable to borrow an xp disc from anyone as advised so I think that I need to purchase one but I have one major concern.

I wanted to make sure that I would be able to access the disc so, I inserted my recovery disk for my desktop and pressed f2 for boot up options but, the option that said boot from removable media, is not available. When I go down with the arrow keys it just skips it.

Im concerned that this means purchasing the operating system disc will not help because I will not be able to access it.

Could someone please advise me.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:47 29 Apr 08

Do you have a floppy drive?

Download and make a boot disks from click here

Find the folder i386 it will be either c:\i386 or c:\windows\i386
expand ntkrnlmp.ex_ C:\Windows\System32\ntoskrnl.exe

castiel333 21:34 01 May 08

Thank you very much for your link but it does not have a floppy drive.

I phoned a few pc repair shops this morning, explained the problem,and have been given rough estimates ranging from between £40 to £82.

One of them said that it sounds as though the hard drive is corrupt (the £82 estimate) but, as noone on here has said this, I do not believe them

Could someone please tell me if these estimates are reasonable as, although Im obviously more than happy to pay, Im curious as to whether this is about the going rate.

Thank you.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:18 01 May 08

Approx £30 hour labour charges for repairs + cost of materials

New harddrive + new imstalltion of windows could get more expensive than £80.

Persist in finding someone to "borrow" an XP CD from as it is relatively easy to fix this fault if you have a disk.

In fact your desktop probably has a preinstalled XP (as you have recovery disk), you may be able to Make a Bootable CD.

click here

To et the laptop to boot from CD enter the BIOS (setup) and set the first boot device as CD drive.
Make and model of laptop?

rossgolf 22:25 01 May 08

can you boot from any cd?

castiel333 23:16 01 May 08

Its a Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook.

I will ask a few more friends if they have a disc and, in the meantime, Im going to try to do as you have advised in order to get it to boot from cd.

I did not realise that labour cost around £30 an hour so at least I now know that the estimates I got are very fair prices.

I will post an update as to how I got on tommorrow
and, once again, thank you very much for your help I really do appreciate it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac