Laptop will not boot from CD

Baz48 17:41 21 Jan 05

I am trying to replace Win2000 with XP, i.e. format and clean install, but it won't boot from the original XP disk.

Instructions say I should get an option to boot from CD at start-up but it just keeps loading Win 2000.
I have changed all four boot devices in the bios set up to CD-ROM/DVD but I just get a screen to let me change to C: floppy or LAN, it won't accept the CD option.

I ran XP setup from Win 2000 but this has now installed two operating systems. How do I get rid of Win 2000?

Chezdez 17:52 21 Jan 05

laptop make and spec please?

Baz48 18:03 21 Jan 05

Laptop is a Hi Grade Ultinote with 1.7MHz Celeron, 20Gb HD and 256Mb Ram.

I have just noticed that in the BIOS/Main/Devices it says CD-ROM = None, but I can't seem to change this.

The DVD Combo unit that is fitted is working OK once in the operating system.

FelixTCat 18:07 21 Jan 05

You have 2 choices: upgrade the Win 2000 installation or keep the new WinXP installation.

To upgrade the Win 2000 installation, boot into it and run your WinXP disk again. When it asks you, tell it that you want to upgrade. It will then overwrite your Win 2000 installation using the current settings.

If you want to use your new WinXP installation, boot up into it, right-click on My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Startup and Recovery, Settings. In the Default Operating System box, make sure that the Windows XP installation is highlighted. Now the systm will boot by default into XP.

If you want to remove the Win 2000 system, you can edit boot.ini (use the Edit box on the same page) to remove the reference to Win 2000 and then delete manually your Win 2000 folders.

If you choose to upgrade your existing Win 2000 to XP and keep it, you can do the reverse to remove your new XP installation.

If you have the disk space, you might like to keep both installations for a while to make sure that you are happy with the new setup.

mattyc_92 18:44 21 Jan 05

to change the "boot sequence" in "BOIS". you need to normally use the Page Up and Page Down buttons and not the arrow keys...

You may need to upgrade your BOIS, but I doubt that you would need to 'cause you have Win2k installed so that suggests the BOIS is pretty much up-2-date

Baz48 18:59 21 Jan 05

FelixTCat:

Thanks for the reply. Two Questions:
Have followed your advice and am now booting into XP but would like to get rid of Win 2000. Is this the WINNT folder and can I just delete it?

I would really like to format the drive for a clean start as this is a second hand machine and also I would like to do periodic formats in the future. The machine does not have a floppy drive so I need to get the non-booting CD problem sorted out. Did you see my last post regarding the "no CD-ROM" in the BIOS? I think we posted at the same time.

mattyc_92 19:06 21 Jan 05

As I have already said, you COULD upgrade the BOIS!!!

Baz48 19:06 21 Jan 05

mattyc_92:
No, it's not the boot sequence that is the problem, I can change that but it has no effect. It will not boot from the CD device.

When the BIOS page comes up it is at the MAIN tab, which, in the DEVICES box, tells me that I have a 20Gb IDE Drive but that the CD-ROM drive = NONE. I cannot seem to change this as pressing enter just gives me the option of setting Date/Time.

The CD is working perfectly though once in windows.

Baz48 19:15 21 Jan 05

I have no idea how to upgrade the BIOS but as the machine came with a BIOS and has a CD-ROM, all from the manufacturer, would an upgraded BIOS detect the CD-ROM or do I have to add it manually.

Just layman's thoughts by the way.

mattyc_92 19:19 21 Jan 05

You can upgrade the BOIS by going to the Laptop's manufactor's website!!! (or motherboard, but I doubt that you would know what motherboard is in the laptop)

Baz48 20:10 21 Jan 05

Belarc Advisor tells me Motherboard is MTC SiS 650 A1 and the BIOS is from Insyde Software but neither the MTC nor the Insyde web sites have any downloads. Also the manufacturer, Hi-Grade has no downloads or upgrades on their site. Pretty useless site really unless you want to buy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…