Laptop will not boot

chriscross72 14:34 09 Dec 06

We recently formatted the hard drive on my partners 6 year old laptop after trouble with a trojan horse, and reinstalled windows 2000.
Booting the pc up it gets as far as the white scrolling bar then there is a brief sort of flash on the screen and everything stops.There is occasionall hard drive activity, but nothing else happens on screen
I can boot the pc up in safe mode and access windows from there but it refuses to boot properly into windows.
Any ideas on what could be wrong.

Thank you : )

Cyclone 14:57 09 Dec 06

If you can boot safe mode it could something as simple as the graphic properties that are causing you trouble.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:34 09 Dec 06

I can boot the pc up in safe mode and access windows from there but it refuses to boot properly into windows.
Any ideas on what could be wrong.

Graphics drivers as a first guess as you can see HDD activity but nothing on the screen.

Try loading new graphics drivers for the laptop or try changing the screen resolution / settings.

T0SH 15:48 09 Dec 06

If you boot to safe mode then right click My Computer icon on your desktop choose properties then on the advanced tab select "Startup and Recovery" un-ticking "Automatically reboot" will let you see the error message that flashes up on the screen

If as Fruit Bat suggests it turns out to be a graphics problem from the safe mode menu if you choose "Enable VGA Mode" should get you to a desktop in normal mode, from there you will be able to make adjustments or install updated drivers

Cheers HC

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:05 09 Dec 06

Or have you fixed it? click here

chriscross72 11:00 10 Dec 06

I've managed to get windows xp to load correctly. But now there is excessive hard drive activity that makes acessing anything impossible. It takes minutes to open anything. I booted again into safe mode but can still hear the hard drive clicking and whirring away like mad
Any more ideas ???

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:07 10 Dec 06

How much memory is fitted?

If you have aything less than 512 it will struggle

chriscross72 11:11 10 Dec 06

there is 256mb ram
It was working ok until a few days ago when we got a trojan on it.
I've formatted the hard drive-twice-and reinstalled windows xp
as i say the pc will boot into windows normally but there is this excessive hard drive activity and i cannot open anything without the proverbial long wait

chriscross72 11:54 10 Dec 06

just turned laptop on .....listening to hard drive there are 4 definate noises, like the heads moving over the discs, then a pause then it does the same again over and over

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple