Laptop with W98..want to use ME from my desktop..

laurals 23:41 15 Aug 03

I bought a Toshiba laptop P2 from Ebay..with nothing installed..put in recovery discs 'cos I wanted to install drivers & then put in Windows ME from recovery disc from my desktop,.But it started installing W98..& I don't have product license for that. Tried putting in CD from desktop..but nothing happened.Anyway I want to run ME 'cos that's what I am used to. Help!/!
As you might guess I've never attempted anything like this before...

leo49 02:07 16 Aug 03

It's probably me but I can't get a handle on your current situation. The laptop had nothing on it and you've ME installed on your Desktop PC. So where has 98 come from?

What OS discs and licences do you have?

If you can explain a little clearer then this can be easily sorted.

Regards

laurals 02:29 16 Aug 03

Laptop had nothing on it & I put in recovery disc I got with it..installed 98 up to asking for product No..which I don't have.
I do have ME on my desktop, so I then tried to put that on using start up floppy I made.When I switch it on I get ME startup menu & Help file, but I don't know what to do next.
I have recovery CDs for my desktop & licence for ME

Djohn 03:01 16 Aug 03

From what I can understand, your ME CD is a recovery CD. If this is correct, then it will only work with the files that are on a hidden partion of your hard drive, the one that is on your Desktop. This will be tied into software and hardware info. of the desktop, and will not work with a different PC.

Do you have a full version of 98, or is that also part of install CD's for the laptop? Are you sure there is no "Product key" for the 98 CD you have? The number should be the underneath the laptop!

wee eddie 20:00 16 Aug 03

You will have to buy an OS.

W'98 should be available at a knockdown rate somewhere. Try entering "Buy Windows '98" into Google

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now