Laptop W7 and slow hardware

iqs 16:36 11 Jul 14
Answered

Hi, When I connect any USB device to my laptop,it seems to take a long time for the device to be registered and shown in My Computer. I have no issues in Device Manger,and all drivers are up to date. Any advice please Thanks

iqs 17:38 11 Jul 14

Thanks for the reply. Its on both USB2 & 3.Hope someone has the solution ? Thanks

Batch 17:41 11 Jul 14

Whilst I wouldn't say it takes "a long time", I've certainly found that W7 is a lot slower than XP in registering USB devices - and also when I want to eject a USB device, after clicking on the icon in the SysTray there is always a noticeable lag that did not exist with XP. I've tried this on several W7 machines and all are the same.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:12 11 Jul 14
Answer

Because usb devices are constantly plugged in and out each time this happens a new entry is made in the registry for the port an this slow things up after a while.

In device manager if you click on - view - show hidden devices, you will find a lot of devices under usb all greyed out. you can select and uninstall each one if you wish but it can be time consuming ;0(

I use USB DevieceView to uninstal all devices shown as not connected.

Next time you plug something in it will find and install it after that it should show up quicker until the registry starts to fill up again.

iqs 17:29 12 Jul 14

Thank you both for the help again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant