//some 3rd party need geo

Laptop vs Desktop

daisy2bell 10:38 07 Jan 05

For some time I have been toying with the idea of getting a Laptop.
Can I more or less do the same things on a Laptop that I do with my Desktop? Are there any drawbacks/limitations etc?
Thanks

rawprawn 10:48 07 Jan 05

Desktops are easier to use and unless you are wanting "Transportability" there is no point in buying a laptop.

TomJerry 10:50 07 Jan 05

limitations:

(1) expensive

(2) relatively small and slow hard driver

(3) slow DVD or CD writ speed if it fit one and almost impossible to replace

(4) lack of internal space for expainsion, but how many people so expansion

(5) almost impossible to upgrade graphics card, so make sure you get a good graphics card (ATI mobile 9700 for example) fitted if you want to play games

(6) very expensive if you spit tea on it (for desktop, you only need replace keyboard)

DrScott 10:50 07 Jan 05

I'm currently using a centrino laptop which I love, but am planning to build a desktop in the summer.

Laptops generally have smaller HDD, their graphics cards are not as good and their sound is onboard with always rubbish speakers. And also many of them are not really that 'laptop' - i.e the ones based round desktop CPUs which weigh a lot and have a short battery life. Unless, you go with one of the Centrino systems or AMD equivalent. Laptops are generally more expensive for similar specs on a desktop too. The main problem really is that the're very limited in terms of upgrading: basically RAM, CD/DVD, and the HDD (sometimes).

However, a good laptop is lovely for portability, plus they often come with lots of easily accessible USB ports + Firewire, and are designed for plugging into projectors etc. And to be honest, I'm still very impressed with my 18m old Centrino since it can still run Doom3 and Rome: Total War :)

It all depends on what you want a computer for. If for transferring between office and home, and you're not very interested in games and lots of graphics manipulation, laptops are perfect.

Anyway, that's my humble opinion. I'll be very interested to see what everyone else thinks! )

TomJerry 10:51 07 Jan 05

There are SFF (small form factor) desktop available which can be put into a carry bag to carry around if you want portablity

DrScott 10:53 07 Jan 05

point number 6 is very very true. My housemate last year spilt tea over my laptop keyboard, and it took around 2 months and £150 to get it back repaired, with all the data lost! Plus they put the wrong HDD in, so it had to go back for another one...

Acer were not my most favourite company at that point!

daisy2bell 11:09 07 Jan 05

Thanks so far

It would realy only be used for internet, a music notation programme, editing my photos etc, and storing some of my more important files as a back up. I do not play games, nor do I download mp3 etc

DrScott 11:18 07 Jan 05

So not going to be carrying it around much?! Well if you don't need to move it around at all, then get a desktop with a TFT monitor. You'll get a better system for the money which will be upgradeable :)

Now I really must get on and do some work, rather than hanging around these forums!!

vaughan007 11:19 07 Jan 05

In which case Daisy2bell a mid range laptop would do you just fine.

You can always buy an external keyboard if you wanted to.

vaughan007 11:20 07 Jan 05

Although as a desktop and laptop user I prefer desktop systems (much cheaper and just seem nicer to use).

If you are not moving it around and space is not limited than go for a desktop.

Desktops are cheaper and better spec for your money!

Gongoozler 12:43 07 Jan 05

Another advantage of a desktop over a laptop that I haven't seen mentioned here is upgradability. A laptop is virtually impossible to upgrade other than with external components.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…