Laptop Vista slow start-up

Scubaman 14:36 PM 12 Jul 11

I have looked at previous postings and looked at disabling start-up programs, the only thing is... in the System Configuration under Services there are 146 programs listed and under Start-up there are 32 programs. What are the basic start-up programs needed to boot.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:48 PM 12 Jul 11

32 startup programs is way over the top

all you really need on start up is Firewall - Antivirus - Antispyware.

If its a laptop you may need something like your trackpad starting as well.

As for services see Black Viper

Les28 16:02 PM 12 Jul 11

Services, if you put a tick in the box in Services Tab in msconfig to hide all microsoft services, you can just see the services added by third party software, perhaps by your anti-virus program for example, which is obviously needed, but an idea to Google to see what any other non ms services are needed for

The 32 items in Startup Tab in msconfig check here

link text

link text

Task List here

link text

Taff™ 17:59 PM 12 Jul 11

Just download CCleaner and use the Tools>Startup Tab. You can right click and disable pretty much everything here and if you get it wrong reverse the process. Going into services unless you`ve got expert knowledge is a dangerous thing

GBL 18:32 PM 12 Jul 11

I got fed up with vista, constant updates slow to start and shut diwn etc so installed and now use Linux, all problems solved.

Scubaman 12:35 PM 13 Jul 11

I have got all the necessary updates, run cc cleaner and all that I have in the start-up list enabled is the McAfee protection. All boots up OK now in under 2 minutes, brilliant. Thank you all.

Taff™ 12:39 PM 13 Jul 11

Great stuff - can I have a tick against my post please!!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Cyber Monday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Cyber Monday tech deals, sales, discounts & offers

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Harry Potter's graphic designers showcase magical props & posters in new exhibition

Apple rumours & predictions 2016: What to expect from Apple in 2016