Laptop and Virgin Media Broadband Help

Durko 12:54 31 Aug 07

I'm buying a wireless enabled laptop tomorrow.I already have a Virgin Media broadband connection on my desktop pc at home which connects through the set top box plugging in to the usb slot at the back of the tower unit. What do I need to set up the laptop to access this existing broadband facility?

Would be grateful for some basic advice.

Durko

Durko 13:08 31 Aug 07

Don't know if it makes any difference but the laptop's got Vista Premium OS preinstalled and my desktop pc is Win XP Home OS.

Durko

palinka 14:55 31 Aug 07

YOu'll need a wireless "card " in the desktop , I think; apart from that they should see each other and share the BB.

palinka 14:57 31 Aug 07

.... and a modem router, instead of a plain modem.

wrg 16:34 31 Aug 07

Durko

I changed over to VM yesterday (whole package). I bought a wireless router (dsl) Netgear WGT624. It really was very easy to do, the software that came with the router guides you through the process. Once up and running your laptop should pick it up. All you have to do is connect and enter the password that you set up in the router. The computer I have installed the modem on does not have a wireless card. What I have is the modem supplied connected to the routre via Ethernet and then another Ethernet going into the computer from the router. Make sure you get a router that has at least 2 Ethernet ports.

Dellman 11:17 29 Sep 07

I have a wireless enabled laptop. I currently access wireless broadband via Cable TV set-top box. I know that this is restrictive and can only add one pc at anytime to the connection. However, whilst I can see the elewset/virgin network on laptop, even adding SSID and password, i can't access the network.

Any ideas?

Dellman 20:31 29 Sep 07

>>>>>>Bump

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac