laptop to video or tv

micko1962 09:09 03 Feb 06

Is it possible to connect a laptop to a video or big screen tv, for use as a karaoke ??
if so what needs are needed ??

Thanks.
mick'o'

De Marcus™ 09:34 03 Feb 06

You can connect (if available) the s-video out to the video or TV, and if possible (most laptops come with this) a VGA/DVI output. This all depends very much on what connections are available on both laptop and VCR/TV.

Another downside will be having to connect your laptops souncard up to an external amplifier, and then you've got to consider your microphone.

You may also find you'll have problems with Macrovision, which is a technology designed to prevent copying, especially if the Karaoke is to be played from disk.

All in all your probably better off buying a cheap karaoke system and routing it through a decent amplifier or surround sound system.

De Marcus™ 09:36 03 Feb 06

Sorry should have added

You may also find you'll have problems with Macrovision, which is a technology designed to prevent copying, especially if the Karaoke is to be played from disk. Which will probably be the case, you can tell macrovision is in effect when the disk starts playing and all of a sudden you have have stripes coming down your screen.

micko1962 09:43 03 Feb 06

Thanks De Marcus, we have a karaoke player, but we were given a disc that contains 30,000 tracks, so we need a pc for that.

regards
Mick'o'

micko1962 09:46 03 Feb 06

Hi again, we have tried it on the laptop and works fine, so its just a case of showing on a large screen.

De Marcus™ 09:47 03 Feb 06

30,000 tracks? phew.

You might find it easier to split these up into categories and burn to disk (DVD). A big project yes but better than trying to wrestle with Macrovision. If the macrovision doesn't kick in (and it's worth trying) then your lucky, on mine it almost instant.

micko1962 09:51 03 Feb 06

To be honest its my son that is doing this, i think he tried burning them but it wasnt possible....could be wrong. As you can see with that many tracks its worth trying to get them in use !!

Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now