Laptop VHS or VGA to TV or video recorder

SparkyMarky 13:22 23 Aug 04

Hi there
I'm trying to connect my laptop (Samsung X05) up to either my TV (which has scart sockets) or my vid recorder (which has scart and composite video(??) - three phono sockets on the front). But it's not working. Sharp - who make the video - say that the recorder doesn't accept S-VHS. Is there any way to connect the laptop up? Can I do anything with the VGA output from the laptop, if not the S-VHS output?
All help greatly appreciated!

jonnytub 13:34 23 Aug 04

get an s-video to scart adaptor, composite ones are usually the norm and plug directly into your tv.

jonnytub 13:38 23 Aug 04

such as the ones click here found about half way down just after scart switces.

SparkyMarky 15:10 23 Aug 04

Cheers Jonnytub! Thanks for the advice - I've just been to Maplin, spent 40 quid, and come back with a nifty little device that takes the VGA monitor output, plus power from the USB and sound from the headphone socket, and turns them into composite video signals to input to the video recorder! Great quality! It seems that I couldn't simply feed the signal from the laptop through to the video recorder or TV (which would have been cheaper), but needed a device to actually convert the signal. But I'm a very happy bunny!

jonnytub 15:16 23 Aug 04

that's strange all i use is an s-video to scart adaptor and it work's fine for me. Anyway glad you got sorted in the end.

I suppose it comes down to your particular hardware as to what works for you,

regards Jonny

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…