Laptop Vertical Line Problem

Nelmon2k 14:31 29 Apr 06

Hey,

Yesterday I took my laptop to a friends house with the intention of using it to play music from while we were there. I took it out, booted it up and put it on the table outside, it worked fine for a few minutes then I went back over to it to change song and the screen turned into a series of multicoloured lines...

I then turned it off and tried to reboot. It gave me weird multicoloured lines such as the below again:
click here

Now whenever I boot up it will either:
1. Not get as far as showing the BIOS screen
2. Get as far as being able to login on XP then it shows multi coloured lines again
3. If you try to boot from a boot disk (XP, Linux or anything else) you just get the multicoloured lines again.

What is causing this? Is it something that is easily fixed?

johndrew 15:26 29 Apr 06

Don`t know if this is any help but...

There was something in PCA a few months back - one of the letters I think - and the problem was similar with an answer that memory was playing up.

I have, very occassionally, had broad black/white vertical stripes which I am told is something during the boot trying to write to graphics memory. Seems (from memory) to have happened when I started the external USB HDD at the same time as booting the PC.

You could try running MemTest to see if it shows up a bad or failed sector, or you could remove/replace the memory in case its a bad contact.

Nelmon2k 15:33 29 Apr 06

Thanks, I'm not sure I'd be able to get it to run memtest though, I have a feeling it'd just show me some pretty lines again.

Thanks, I'll try and see if I can get memtest to work...

Nelmon2k 20:38 30 Apr 06

Apologises for Bumpage...

I can't find my Ultimate Boot Disc and I've run out of blank CDs.

Does anyone else have any ideas?

Nelmon2k 10:47 05 Jun 06

Yet another bump...

Has anyone else got any ideas?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac