Laptop versus Desktop

belmore1 15:45 PM 25 Oct 11

Will need to change my desktop in a few months. Undecided whether to keep to a desktop or change to a laptop. Apart from being mobile - which I don't really need, what is the advantage a laptop has?

hastelloy 16:02 PM 25 Oct 11

IMHO you get more for your money with a desktop, it's easier and cheaper to repair and/or upgrade and easier to use.

johndrew 16:06 PM 25 Oct 11

If you don't need the mobility, why pay for it?

Additionally, laptop batteries don't last forever and are expensive to replace, the screen on a laptop will almost certainly be smaller and a lower resolution, the HDD smaller - need I go on?

belmore1 16:10 PM 25 Oct 11

Confirmed what I thought, but good to have it verified by others. Many thanks.

belmore1 16:12 PM 25 Oct 11

Confirmed what I thought, but good to have it verified by others. Many thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:14 PM 25 Oct 11

Avoid all in one desktops as same disadvantages as laptop

i.e not upgradable or easily repairable.

robin_x 16:29 PM 25 Oct 11

I prefer my laptop, although it is almost always in the living room. (Slightly) more sociable than being in a bedroom/study.

I used my old laptop for some years without a battery.

I am comfortable making repairs (elec eng)

When this one is absolutely on its last legs or needing 'upgrade' I will buy new.

So which is best?

There's only one way to find out...

belmore1 16:34 PM 25 Oct 11

Would not be interested in an all in one desktop - but thanks for the info.

belmore1 16:39 PM 25 Oct 11

Family would not take kindly to me using a laptop in the living room. Would think I was being anti social and not giving them due attention So no need for FIIGGGHHHT.....................

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Cyber Monday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Cyber Monday tech deals, sales, discounts & offers

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Harry Potter's graphic designers showcase magical props & posters in new exhibition

Apple rumours & predictions 2016: What to expect from Apple in 2016