Laptop versus Desktop

belmore1 15:45 25 Oct 11

Will need to change my desktop in a few months. Undecided whether to keep to a desktop or change to a laptop. Apart from being mobile - which I don't really need, what is the advantage a laptop has?

hastelloy 16:02 25 Oct 11

IMHO you get more for your money with a desktop, it's easier and cheaper to repair and/or upgrade and easier to use.

johndrew 16:06 25 Oct 11

If you don't need the mobility, why pay for it?

Additionally, laptop batteries don't last forever and are expensive to replace, the screen on a laptop will almost certainly be smaller and a lower resolution, the HDD smaller - need I go on?

belmore1 16:10 25 Oct 11

Confirmed what I thought, but good to have it verified by others. Many thanks.

belmore1 16:12 25 Oct 11

Confirmed what I thought, but good to have it verified by others. Many thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:14 25 Oct 11

Avoid all in one desktops as same disadvantages as laptop

i.e not upgradable or easily repairable.

robin_x 16:29 25 Oct 11

I prefer my laptop, although it is almost always in the living room. (Slightly) more sociable than being in a bedroom/study.

I used my old laptop for some years without a battery.

I am comfortable making repairs (elec eng)

When this one is absolutely on its last legs or needing 'upgrade' I will buy new.

So which is best?

There's only one way to find out...

FIIGGGHHHT.

belmore1 16:34 25 Oct 11

Would not be interested in an all in one desktop - but thanks for the info.

belmore1 16:39 25 Oct 11

Family would not take kindly to me using a laptop in the living room. Would think I was being anti social and not giving them due attention So no need for FIIGGGHHHT.....................

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? Why upgrade to Windows 10? Is Windows 10 good? The pros and cons of!…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This Uplifting Animation Celebrates Team GB’s Road to Rio

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features, including new features…