Laptop Utilities - Example : Toshiba?

Bobly 14:45 01 Jun 06

I just received my new system today, an Alienware m5500, which looks and acts amasing, but I was disappoited Alienware don't offer any laptop utilities, so the only real options to save on battery life are the windows ones. Toshiba I know for a fact have a very interesting piece of software that can slow down the processor, fan and graphics to get more out of a fully charged battery.
Does anybody know of any good software utilities for laptops that can control hardware settings to save battery power?

Stuartli 14:56 01 Jun 06

Even more simple is to use power saving methods such as listed here:

click here

I don't know if IBM's Battery Maximiser software would work on your model. Perhaps someone could advise:

click here

Bobly 15:02 01 Jun 06

Yeah I know about the Microsoft XP battery saving options, the thing is that only controls hibernation and those kind of things.
I am looking for a piece of software that can, amongst other things:
-Control CPU speed, slowing it down to save battery power of working at full power to actually get stuff done. My laptop has a 2Ghz Pentium 4 Celeron processor, it's not going to get along nicely with my battery.
-Control cooling, at least be able to slow it down when it's not needed, and possibly an emergency feature where it turns the fan back on maximum if need be, last thing I want is a fried laptop.
-Maybe one that controls screen brightness too.
-Hard drive speeds? Can those be controlled?

Basically more options than the microsoft ones, but particularly the processor.
I doubt much can be done about the graphics card, Alienware have already included a switch to go from the graphics card to the chipset, which should do the job...

Stuartli 15:11 01 Jun 06

Acer does an e-Manager, but it seems to only be for its own models - same with IBM and ThinkPads.

There's a CPU cooler here which can be used with laptops but only lists up to ME:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…