Laptop utilising Broadband

GW1947 16:01 08 Nov 05

For space & convenience I have a laptop connected to NTL "Anytime", I connect when required. Two hours per day. What do I need to run a broadband connection? My laptop has wi-fi installed. Cheapest and most efficient solutions please.

woodchip 16:05 08 Nov 05

If you only have one Computer a USB ADSL Modem will do

moore_mat 16:08 08 Nov 05

Hi GW1947

The most efficient way is to buy an all in one ADSL modem/router/wireless box, but this will not be the cheapest (you're looking in the order of £70). The cheapest is to buy a cheapie £10-20 USB ADSL modem but this will not give you wireless access.

I would seriously advise the former solution as this will allow you to a) roam your house without wires everywhere and b) allow for future upgrades (i.e. you can have up to 250 odd wireless devices connected to this box, and usually 4 wired if you ever buy desktop PC's)

This site reviews the latest models so you can choose which is best for your needs:-

click here

I personally have used Netgear in the past and they seem reliable enough.

Good luck

ruskle 21:43 08 Nov 05

I bought the Linksys modem router on line from Comet at about £54. Dead easy to set up and has been trouble free on 4 friends systems as well as mine. Free delivery if you wait 5 days.
One friend has 3 daughters as well as his own PC all sharing the same line, Makes it cheaper doesn't it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…