Laptop use whilst abroad

beebender 11:00 11 Apr 09

Hi

I am going to Cyprus for most of May and will be taking my laptop with me in order to pay UK bills while I am away.

This will be the first time I have used my laptop abroad.

I have full AVG security system and wonder if there are any additional risks in using a laptop to access my finances while I am away.

Advice please.

johndrew 11:07 11 Apr 09

There is always a risk using online accounts; this may be more pronounced when away from home as your laptop is likely to be more susceptible to theft/loss.

I would suggest you ensure data - especially passwords - are encrypted to foil any thieves.

My choice would be to set up direct debits or standing orders to pay all the usual bills, including credit cards. You can always cancel them on your return.

McD 12:45 11 Apr 09

Hi,
I live in Cyprus and there are many ex-pats who "fly south" for the winter months and bring laptops etc for use here, without any problems.
One thing I will advise is: don't expect to find Wi-Fi or hot-spots all over the place. They are few and far between. This will give you some idea where you can connect.
click here
Also Broadband hasn't reached too far outside the the towns and cities, so dial up is still very much the "norm"
Let me know if you need any other information.
McD

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…