Laptop - USB - PC

CutNpaste 01:05 01 Nov 05

Is is possible to connect a usb cable from the laptop to the pc so that i can exchange filed.
cheers!!

Splork 01:09 01 Nov 05

Only with a specific USB cable for the job, like this. click here

CutNpaste 01:11 01 Nov 05

wow!! seems very new!!
is the usb connections the same?

Splork 01:21 01 Nov 05

Yes, but there's a bit of electronics in the middle - just connecting directly with a standard cable would kill one or both the computers in question. I take it you don't have a network card or connector on either machine?

CutNpaste 01:34 01 Nov 05

i have a network card on both comp and laptop. And even have a crossover cable conneced to both. I share the broadband of my PC to my laptop using a BCS or BSC conection.
Connection is very bad - sometimes it connects and sometimes it doesnt.
And i dont know how to set up the network to shared files.
The usb cable seems like an easy solution.
any suggestions

Splork 01:39 01 Nov 05

You mean like a cable TV connector? BNC? How old are the two machines? You can pick up a network card with a proper RJ45 connector from Ebuyer for about £2.50 click here - and I'd be surprised if your laptop was the one with the BNC connector. Either that or a usb>ethernet converter click here

CutNpaste 01:43 01 Nov 05

no!! my laptop and pc are brandnew and have ethernet connections. The crossover cable is the rj45.
Any idea how i can share files with that connection

Splork 01:46 01 Nov 05

It should work faultlessly - both running XP? Run the Network setup wizard on both PCs?

Splork 01:47 01 Nov 05

Zonealarm probably needs configuring to allow networking too - allowing a `trusted` network.

CutNpaste 01:48 01 Nov 05

yep XP. I've run the network setup wizard - but no hope. Nothing happens

Splork 01:51 01 Nov 05

You have Client for Microsoft Networks and FIle and Printer Sharing loaded in your Network COnnection settings?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now