Laptop with USB ADSL modem - connection problem

de_de 15:24 08 Mar 08

Hi, this is a desperate cry for help in trying to connect my laptop to the internet. It is a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo, AMD Turion64 processor, 1 GB RAM and is running Vista Home Basic edition.

I have a brand new 'ZOOM' USB ADSL modem (model 5510B) connected to it. I have downloaded the latest drivers/software for Vista compatibility. The software/drivers installed flawlessly and the modem LED's for power and link are lit.

The problem I have is trying to set up an internet connection, but I think I am missing something somewhere.

When I try to connect it says 'conecting to broadband connection', 'connecting through WAN Miniport (PPPOE)' then it says 'failed to connect', 'Diagnose problem?'. 'Windows did not find any problems'

I am using my desktop to write this, so I can keep online indefinately.

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:46 08 Mar 08

Are you trying to use the USB modem on the laptop at the same time as you are using a different modem/ router with the Desktop on the same BB line?

de_de 15:51 08 Mar 08

Thanks for the reply...no I am using the laptop and desktop alternately, or independantly.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:58 08 Mar 08

You cannot have router and another modem connected to same line at same time.

You will need to disconnect one wihile using the other.

in services (run type services.msc for XP) check application layer gateway service has started.

de_de 16:02 08 Mar 08

Sorry my response wasn't too clear, I am not running 2 modems/routers at the same time on same line. I either use the laptop OR the desktop. I plug/unplug the modems as required.

de_de 22:20 08 Mar 08

Hi just an update on my problem for the benefit of anyone in the same boat. After a whole day of hair pulling it turned out to be the PPP setting. It was configured for PPPoE out of the box.

After finding out how to change it to PPPoA VC-MUX for the UK, it finally worked! To top it all off it was my wife who noticed this. Must be something in that saying of 'looking through man eyes'

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009